Twitter I feel is the better format for showing and promoting creative output and events, as conversations and word is ignited through retweets and favourites.
I wanted to play with the design of Twitter’s profiles, displaying the elements I’ve created for a consistent theme, also creating hash-tags to represent and almost create a mini-campaign.
For print and posters, I wanted them to match what was visually shown in the exhibition, therefore audience could get a taste of what to expect (and perhaps hence want to see more?)
The wallpaper-esque background of graphic architectural elements is used in the poster, for playful visual curiosity.
Below I played with a variety of fonts for ‘P.L.A.Y’, this font would act as the display that would pair and answer to the vibrant logo. I most enjoyed the end font, which played with straight, linear elements – very similar to my logo. However I wanted the font and type to act as the more legible version and assist the understanding of the message.
Testing Display Fonts
I’ve once again decided to bring the hand-drawn elements to highlight important information from the amount of body text on show, also to ensure it doesn’t upset the balance.
The booklet design followed a similar process, which was designed more loosely to again express the ‘playful’ concept.
I had a clear concept for way-finding that would visually be consistent with the brand:
I planned to use shapes and colours to structure a sharp, graphic aesthetic that would be easy to understand and ‘read’. I utilized the circular elements and colour-blocked them to represent the different spaces within the building, (creating a synesthetic resemblance?).
To clearly map the surrounding building I planned the area around a simple, linear graphic. Each area is loosely juxtaposed against each other, to create a straight-forward aesthetic. The font is taken from the primary typefaces:
Comfortaa – Regular weights (For display, PLAY title only)
Roboto – Regular & Black weights (For Body)
They correspond well together; the former has straight lines yet rounded edges to contrast with the logo (almost giving an digital vibe) and Roboto features simple, legible text with little character yet modern style.
I’ve also decided to place the current position on the map, in order to give context of where the audience is to the building and to further assist. A white circle around the shown-area represents the current position. (Nothing that distracts from the simplicity of the map).
These graphic elements are taken outside of the building, which play with the surrounding space on windows. The architectural shapes work well as a wallpaper print/ background, placed almost at random. The descriptive body includes hand-brushes, which add a personal and almost tactile touch.
Using the coloured cube, I thought of the idea of creating structures and forms that resembled architectural elements, that could act as an extension of the brand and concept (Particularly those of a house, which would be most recognised).
You can just see the individual shapes, the hollow cube is an abstract interpretation and basic structure of a house (minus the roof). I want to use these as vinyls or adhesive visuals that would be sectioned characteristically around the exhibition.
The playful placements remove the idea that they are just a 2D image, and also can be interactive with the audience, allowing them to play and move around the graphics.
From my fully-realized logo, the next step is to add colour (which was my initial idea I wanted to carry on). I want to play with primary colours, once again holding up the concept of building and construction roots – the root of all colours.
The basic outline of the logo I’ve created form an abstract resemblance of each defined letter. I spoke of ridding the visual individual cubes and merging them together somehow. – To which I’ve simply colour-blocked the letters. This has created a flat, 2D shape that graphically I think represents my concept of ‘Play’. (Taking inspiration from my research of 80’s prints)
These definitions represent the context and content of the exhibition – Architectural design/ Human and practical achievement. The colourful visuals explain themselves, communicating a simple and clear message. ✓
As an individual cube, I wanted to colour match accordingly to the monochrome light-source/ location I originally created (from earlier concepts).
(Top-left = light source) – This gave the most visual impact and created a well-defined cube
I began thinking about how to develop the legibility, as the simple shapes brought together could be perceived as otherwise. I came to see that the holes were missing in ‘P’ and ‘A’ which gave their key-recognition as a letter.
Rather than simply making holes I wanted to add character and challenge myself to add an element that would be suggestive rather than basic/the obvious.
I decided to test two options – cubes and linear circles.
Both I feel are usable options, for the first I chose to colour the front face of each cube to match the letter, only changing the two adjacent sides to create a subtle illusion.
The second works with circular elements, they act as more of an addition to the filled shape. I think they visually challenge the flow of the edged lettering and are weighted to balance the letter impact, finally, positioned so it defines the abstraction.
Furthermore, I gave the logo a graphic, shadowed background which creates an raising impact. Just enough to keep it flat-looking, however gives the illusion of 3D and protrudes into the view of the audience.
I messed around with various colour combinations as the juxtapositions can look unbalanced if not done correctly.
The bottom left variation I feel is the most effective